If you are interested in working with young people, and have skills, experience and commitment to share with others, then we may have the perfect volunteering opportunity for you…
We offer information, advice and support to over 5500 young people who come through our doors each year. Each young person brings their own unique set of needs and access our drop in for many reasons including sexual health and relationship advice, information on housing and support around their mental health.
Our dedicated team of Youth Support Volunteers and Front of House staff offer young people a safe and confidential space to talk whilst providing information, signposting and referrals to projects within The Zone and other agencies.
What is a Youth Support Volunteer?
A Youth Support Volunteer is a volunteer who has completed our training and provides support and information to young people at The Zone.
The most important thing for a Youth Support Volunteer to know is that supporting young people can be very rewarding but it can also be very hard and emotionally demanding, especially when the help you can offer a young person is limited.
It is not a volunteering position to consider for a young person who is emotionally vulnerable and who thinks it will make them feel better to help others as sometimes this is not possible or the young person chooses not to accept the help offered.
Why become a volunteer?
We offer all our volunteers:
- Comprehensive training
- Out of pocket expenses
- Practical experience of face to face support
- The opportunity to be part of a diverse agency
- A rewarding role supporting young people
In return we ask that you:
- Attend selection day, an informal interview and training
- Commit to volunteering with us for 3 hours a week, choosing from set shifts which cover our front of house drop in times.
- Uphold The Zone’s ethos and values
- Are enthusiastic about empowering young people to live safe, healthy and positive lives!
If this sounds like something you would be interested please complete the online application. We expect that our next training will take place in early 2021.